Friday, June 26, 2009

Lee McConnell: I could retire before Glasgow 2014

SCOTS track queen Lee McConnell last night revealed she will turn her back on an emotional Glasgow finale in 2014 if she believes she's no chance of winning a medal.

McConnell considered walking away from athletics after her Olympic ordeal last year when injury cruelly flared up just before she was due to run in the 4x400m relay.

The lure of running in London in three years prompted a change of heart but there will be no U-turn if the 30-year-olhas lost her pace when the Commonwealth Games arrive in her home city five years from now.

McConnell, speaking at the launch of the Great Scottish Run supported by Lloyds TSB and Bank of Scotland, said: "I haven't set a date for retirement but I want to run in the 2012 Olympics.

"That is the time when I am going to have to assess where my body is and if I am going to stay injury-free. The next thing will be Glasgow but all I can do is go to 2012 and see if I want to do that.

"I just don't want to go there and go out in the heats - I want to be running well in front of my home crowd and really be in contention for a medal.

"If I'm not then I might try to get involved in some capacity."

McConnell hit the nightclubs for one month after returning from Beijing.

But while that lifestyle has destroyed the careers of many great sporting heroes it actually saved the Glaswegian from the scrapheap.

McConnell said: "What happened in Beijing has been fuelling my desire but I am going to be scarred for life about that.

"It was really, really hard and I don't think people can understand it.You need time to reassess things after that.

"Going out for a month and partying got my head right.

"My friends, family and coach are a great support and helped me get back on track."

No comments:

Post a Comment